Passport Funding

What Can I Use Passport Funding For?

Passport is a program that helps adults with a developmental disability to participate in their communities, and helps caregivers take a break from their caregiving responsibilities.

If you have a Passport approval, here are some of the things you can use it for:


  • The cost of classes offered through a community centre or local school board (e.g., literacy, computer or cooking classes)
  • Fees for programs designed for adults with a developmental disability
  • Recreational programs (e.g., swimming lessons, camp fees)

NOTE: You cannot use Passport funding for tuition that is covered by a government student assistance program (e.g., OSAP), or supports that are available through an on-campus Special Needs office


  • Job preparation or work activities (e.g., hiring a support worker to help with on-the-job training or to act as a job coach at work)

Volunteer Activities

  • Support needed to participate or volunteer in community activities or events (e.g., covering the cost of transportation, having a support worker go with you to help you participate)

Daily Life

  • Activities that help develop social skills, independent living and personal management (e.g., learning how to do your banking, take public transit, or use the library)

Person-Directed Planning / Administration & Brokerage

  • Getting help to develop a person-directed plan that builds on your strengths and interests, and identifies the supports needed to achieve your goals
  • Getting help to manage human resources (e.g., support worker scheduling, job ad development, applicant screening) and financial/reporting requirements associated with managing direct funding

NOTE: You can use up to 10% of your total Passport funding for these expenses.

Caregiver Respite

  • Hiring someone to help with personal care of a person with a developmental disability to give the main caregiver a break. This can be in your own home or a different location

If you have questions related to your Passport funding you can contact your Passport Coordinator at our agency.

Scroll to Top